In a large symbolic decision, it was confirmed by a federal magistrate judge that Taliban and Iran must pay $6 billion to relatives of Sept. 11 victims for aiding in the 2001 terrorist attacks. The damage caused by the 2001 terrorist attacks is painful for the family of victims, but still they are happy with decision made by Manhattan Federal Magistrate Judge Frank Maas’ recommendation.
Order for Iran, Taliban, al-Qaida to pay $6 Billion
According to Saracini, whose husband was victim of 2001 terrorist attacks said that old wounds are reopened, but she is happy with the decision. Judge George Daniels signed a default judgment, which was brought by relatives of 47 victims. Even though it is impossible to collect damage caused by the 2001 terrorist attacks, but the amount $6 billion may give some relief to the relatives of Sept. 11 attacks.
Last year, he told the magistrate to determine damages and said that the Taliban and Iran should allocate some amount of money to the victim families. Maas recommend to calculate compensatory damages for each of the plaintiffs and their lost family members.
$6 Billion To Relatives Of Sept. 11 Victims – Taliban
According to Daniel the plaintiffs had accepted that the 2001 attacks were caused by the support the defendants provided to al-Qaida. Findings reveled that Iran continues to offer material support and resources to al-Qaida by offering a safe haven for al-Qaida leadership and rank-and-file members.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran, repeatedly denied any connection of Iran in the Sept. 11 attacks or with al-Qaida. Both Al-Qaida and Iran are natural enemies of US, but they had a relationship of convenience based on their shared adversary. It is also believed that Iran allowed several of the 9/11 hijackers to pass through the country, but the 9/11 Commission found no evidence that Iran was aware of the planned attack.